Monday 8 April 2013

A Knitted Interlude

OK, this isn't about sewing, but it is about stitching of a different kind, plus I'm super excited about it - I'm going to be teaching a beginner's knitting course in London, starting in a couple of weeks!



As much as I love sewing, knitting is the thing that seems to come most naturally to me - I definitely had an 'aha' clicking type moment when I learned to knit, whereas with sewing, each technique seems to be something new and unconnected. I've taught children how to knit before, which was brilliant, but this is the first time I'm going to be teaching adults and the first time I've been able to draw up a course plan.

The course lasts for 6 weeks and we'll be learning casting on, binding off, knit, purl, ribbing, knitting in the round, increasing, decreasing and finishing techniques. I've been busy finishing off the designs for the accompanying pattern booklet, which includes all the techniques from the course. At the moment, I'm in the middle of knitting up a late 1950s style garter stitch bolero that's turning out pretty nicely (so far!).

If anyone's interested in taking the class, it's on at the Red Lion pub in Leytonstone on Tuesdays 7-9pm, starting on the 23rd April. The whole course costs £50, including basic materials in the first session and a pattern booklet featuring 6 original knitting patterns. There's still a couple of places left, so email trixierocketdesigns@gmail.com to book a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment